Pages

Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Crafty DIY : Pinecone Wreath

From when we first met, the other half wooed me by starting up pinecone wars on our romantic country walks. Who can resist a cheeky chappy darting out from behind a tree pelleting you with cones? That naughty little grin won me over every time. And don't worry, although my aim may be a little out, at point blank range I do ok to hold my ground. But pinecones have another use, a more festive use without eye injuries -  the classic Christmas wreath.




For this project I cut a ring out of a cardboard box as our front door is under cover, but if you don't have that luxury, use a wire ring from a florist to avoid a soggy cardboard mess. after immense fun getting the whole family involved in collecting pinecones a few months back, I  let them completely dry out and then spray painted them silver. Next, I attached each one to the cardboard ring with thin wire, embedding the wire into the folds of the cones so that it was mostly hidden. Using a door hanger from the pound shop, we had ourselves a nice little wreath to adorn our door.




Incidentally if you are thinking about starting a pinecone war on your next country walk, whip out the old goggles. Not only does this show your opponent you mean business, the eye injuries vastly reduce too. Bonus.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...