Pages

Monday, 12 November 2012

Crafty DIY : Hand Painted Sign


With only eight months to go, the wedding preparations are in full swing. Any spare moment is taken up with speed spray painting or hurried paper folding or manic machining of the bunting. Oh, the bunting – 150 metres to date. It sounds a lot right? It all fits into a small carrier bag. Weird and slightly disappointing. Anyway, many of the things we are making for our homemade wedding cannot be shown here yet as that would spoil the surprise, no? But there are certain things that I have been working on that have been designed to complement our home before and after the wedding so that they can be enjoyed for more than just the big day. Like this hand-painted AMUSEMENTS sign.
 
 

I used an old laminated shelf from the bar (when it used to be a plain ol’ shed), but you can use any bit of wood you happen to have. I gave it three coats of satin white. Having taken the dimensions, I created the text to fit the area, printed off the letters and used this method here to draw around the letters leaving an impression on the old shelf which I could then paint without it running over the edges. I chose greys, black and yellow (I am loving yellow at the moment – I’m having fun adding little splashes of yellow to the lounge, will post more details soon). I decided to paint the ‘U’ and ‘ME’ in yellow, well, because I am in fact a massive goofball and love a bit of romance, and hey it’s for the wedding, so I don’t need to be ashamed!
 
 

I painted the edges in black gloss – I can hear my mum shouting all the way from France “Use a ruler, ZoĆ«” – no such luck matey, the wobbly edge is there to stay (although truth be told I really should have masked it off for a nice crisp line). I chose the word AMUSEMENTS because this is going to be a big part of our wedding day, but that’s the only clue you’re getting.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...