Pages

Thursday, 27 October 2011

Recipe : Cheeky Cottage Pie


I had never made Cottage Pie before, which I find quite starteling because it's a classic dish and very scrummy to boot. Perhaps part of me was frightened because I knew that I could never make it as nice as the other half's mum's version. So I created a variation of my own and added a little wine to make it a little bit cheeky.




Overall it was very well received, however I would personally omit the kidney beans, however the other half was adamant they should be left in, so I'll leave it to you to decide. And I would cut the carrots a little thinner too! The flavours of the wine and herbs really made it very scrummy though, so I will not be ashamed to cook it for the aforementioned award winning cottage pie expert.





Although there were quite a few ingredients, it was relatively simple to make and quite frankly, is best served straight after cooking so that the potatoes are still deliciously crispy. Reheating this dish makes the mince lovely and sticky, however the tats become a little softer. I cooked this at an elderly relatives house, and she had a pot of finely ground pepper, which I have not seen since I was a kid. But my goodness me, those tats on top come up beautifully when drizzled with a little oil and some ground pepper. Serve with a glass of Red wine to top it off.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...